Business and communications strategy, CRM requirements and specifications
About the client
The Mother’s Day Classic is an annual fun run and walk raising funds and awareness for breast cancer research. The charity event segment, especially those involving cancers, has become a cluttered space with multiple charities competing for participation. MDC approached Zuni to identify digital solutions to drive more participation and raise more funds.
Approach and solution
Zuni conducted a consumer centric co-design approach whereby MDC worked directly with Zuni staff to identify and define relevant audience groups, and build up user journeys for those groups and their goals around supporting charities
These groups included:
- Participants (both runners and walkers)
- Sponsors & donors
On the back of opportunities identified through the journeys with the addition of landscape and audience research Zuni created the following content and channel plans for MDC to build and deliver to:
- Full requirements and high level information architecture for a new website including best practice workflows for the registration, fundraising and donation processes
- Social media strategy and publishing schedules
- Audience segmentation and email communication strategy along with formalised specifications for bulk and triggered email delivery
- CRM requirements (MDC didn’t have a suitable CRM platform)
- Overall systems architecture including integrations with external fundraising platform providers
- Tracking and reporting requirements to ensure that all marketing and engagement activities could be optimised moving forward
Upon implementation of the social media and email strategies for the 2017 event entry fees had increased by 7%, the average funds raised by fundraisers had increase from $269 to $440 per fundraiser, more individuals registered at earlier dates than previous years allowing for better on the day event planning – volunteer satisfaction was up 12%.
Traditional media spend was reduced by 29% but the overall reach was increase by 33% due to the refocused digital media strategy. Social media reach increase by 366% most of which was not paid for.
One the back of the 2017 success Zuni was further engaged to run MDC’s internal staff strategy session which resulted in the agreed implementation of the previously defined CRM solution, website updates and cross channel digital tracking solutions for better media attribution.
Zuni worked with MDC to manage suppliers for the delivery of these additional digital solutions